Friday, July 10, 2026

Specifically general

 


1. This may be Lasalle

More than ten years ago, I came into a collection of old painted Hinton Hunt figures of Napoleonic generals. I recognised some of them, but I've decided that I'm going to rebase them on round bases with names on them, so this post is acting as part catalogue and part reminder of who is who. 

From what I can tell, these were painted with enamels some time ago. I think I'm correct with the identifications, but if you see anything that you think is mislabelled, please let me know. 



2. General Junot (I think)



3. I'm assuming this fella is a Marshal as he has a baton, but not sure which one he is meant to be. 



4. This is a Strelets figures of Grouchy 


5. I'm pretty sure I can identify this chap. His name is on the tip of my tongue. I presume he's out looking for Grouchy. 

6. I would hazard a guess that this is Davout



7. But then again this might be Lasalle as well. 


8. This chap has been identified as Nansouty, but I'm not sure about it. 


9. It's been suggested that this fella is Marshal Murat 






8 comments:

  1. There is nothing like a name …
    Great figures and plan
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think you are mostly right , my knowledge of French generals is sketchy but they are cracking OS miniatures

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely "old-school" style collection.
    Here are a few notes regarding the identification of the figures.

    Figures No. 1 and 7 could represent General Lasalle. His uniform is very distinctive; however, Antoine Charles Louis de Lasalle was emulated by other light cavalry generals. Many adopted similar attire, such as General Jacques Gervais Subervie.

    https://lesapn.forumactif.fr/t5515-subervie-jacques-general-de-division-depute-ministre

    https://gr.pinterest.com/pin/385972630556219218/

    Figure No. 3 represents Marshal Jean-Baptiste Bessières, Duke of Istria, Marshal of the Empire, and Colonel-General of the Imperial Guard Cavalry. He wore powdered hair and the uniform of a colonel of the Guard *Chasseurs à Cheval* (Light Horse). This, too, is a distinctive outfit; the coat he wears is identical to the Emperor's.

    https://www.alamyimages.fr/photo-image-jean-baptiste-bessieres-marechal-d-empire-et-duc-d-istrie-147568882.html

    https://www.napoleon-empire.org/personnages/bessieres.php

    Figure No. 4 could be the future Marshal Emmanuel de Grouchy. The receding hairline matches the historical figure. However, the uniform does not match. As a cavalry officer, Count Emmanuel de Grouchy was Colonel-General of the *Chasseurs à Cheval*. This explains the Hungarian knots visible on his breeches, even though they do not appear in any of his portraits. The grey coat he is wearing is an infantry greatcoat. https://www.napoleon-empire.org/personnages/grouchy.php

    https://www.zinnfigur.com/fr/Figures-pleines/Kits/Pegaso-Models/75-mm/Mar-chal-Grouchy.html?srsltid=AfmBOoojaiqVAzXiCxpf2TVJ2ugXXtQXnTaHnreuiMn0yLUKLsa-gr5C#&gid=1&pid=1

    He was not appointed Marshal of the Empire until 1815, and he wore a simple frock coat throughout the Belgian campaign.

    https://www.librairie-du-collectionneur.fr/produit/120509-wavre-et-le-combat-de-namur-18-21-juin-1815

    Figure No. 8 depicts a "heavy cavalry" general, such as Nansouty, d'Hautpoul, Espagne, or l'Héritier.

    https://www.niceartgallery.com/Alphonse-Lalauze/Le-General-Dhautpoul-Et-Les-Cuirassiers-oil-painting.html

    After the 1809 campaign, noting the high number of cuirassier generals killed or wounded, Napoleon ordered them to wear the helmet and cuirass from then on. Many generals retained the bicorne hat. In this regard, the plumes are black for a brigadier general or general of division, and white for a general-in-chief or a marshal.

    https://histoireetcollections.com/fr/1er-empire/2636-dictionnaire-des-officiers-de-cuirassiers-1804-1815-9782352500254.html

    https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89tienne_Marie_Antoine_Champion_de_Nansouty

    Etienne Marie Antoine Champion de Nansouty was Colonel-General of the Dragoons. It is almost certainly him whom figure No. 8 represents, for you will have noted that—apart from the Emperor, Murat, and Lasalle—this collection depicts almost exclusively Colonels-General.

    - Junot, Colonel-General of the Hussars
    - Bessières, Colonel-General of the Imperial Guard Cavalry
    - Grouchy, Colonel-General of the Chasseurs à Cheval
    - Davout, Colonel-General of the Imperial Guard Foot Grenadiers
    - Nansouty, Colonel-General of the Dragoons

    With this collection, Hinton Hunt undoubtedly sought to pay tribute to the Colonels-General of the Grande Armée. The following are still missing:

    - Soult, Colonel-General of the Imperial Guard Foot Chasseurs
    - Mortier, Colonel-General of the Imperial Guard Artillery and Sailors
    - Gouvion Saint-Cyr, Colonel-General of the Cuirassiers and Carabiniers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fantastic, what a great find (all those years ago).
    The third fellow is Marshal Bessières.
    Best wishes, James

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great figures I always like seeing Hinton Hunt figures,and these are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a look at “The Hinton Hunter” website. My guess is:

    1: Not sure. Could be Soult with telescope removed or Lasalle.
    2:Junot FN358
    3: Bessieres FN353 - possibly Ney
    4: ?
    5: Napoleon FN350
    6: Davout FN355
    7: Possibly Massena but with an added sword FN356
    8: Nansouty FN361
    9: Murat FN351

    ReplyDelete