Monday, March 2, 2015

What to do with a chap like this?


Might this plucky Belgian be taking a trip across the pond?

Last year, I had the good fortune to pick up some figures very cheaply from a diorama that was being broken up.  Amongst those figures were some Dutch-Belgian infantry like this chap above.  Now as it happens I ended up with some more than I needed. Most of them have the slightly flared Austrian shako, but these fellas are wearing the false fronted job favoured by the America regulars. Their coat is blue and disregarding the possible need to do away with the shoulder wings with a dab of paint, I think they are not a bad match for US regulars. 

The attractions of 1812 are many, not least that I have all the British I could possibly need. I think it remains to be seen exactly how many of these fellas I have and how many units I would likely need. 

13 comments:

  1. 1809 Portuguese infantry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's close as it happens, so there might be something in using my Portuguese line as yanks.

      Delete
  2. American forces is a good idea - also, with careful painting of facings they would make decent pre-1811 Portuguese line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a sufficiency of Portuguese. Though I'm wondering if they could double job as both.

      Delete
  3. Conrad Kinch,

    I am in the process of varnishing and basing some Dutch-Belgians ... and I was also struck by the similarity between the uniform worn by the Belgian infantry and the US infantry. In my case the trousers are white ... which seems to make them look even more American!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Add a couple of militia units and you could have yourself an 1812 army squire.

      Delete
  4. Aha! Interesting! A couple of years ago, I started a 20mm plastics War of 1812, and built up a decent British-Canadian force, but couldn't really find a decent 20mm plastic match for the Yank. I don't suppose you know who manufactured your fine fellow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a hat brand Dutch Belgian. Not a bad little set actually.

      Delete
    2. General Du GourmondMarch 3, 2015 at 4:29 PM

      HAT peninsular war British make good US 1812 infantry http://www.hat.com/Othr8/Pascual60P.html

      The hard one is US light dragoons helmet similar to the French dragoons but the jacket is more like a hussar minus the peliese

      Delete
    3. Thanks, chaps! With the aid of global capitalism, international finance, and modern techno-wizardry, I have ordered m'self some. Yours, a dyed-in-the-wool traditionalist.

      Delete
    4. Update... the bl*asted postman turned up with the little men when I was out!! And 'the next working day' for their collection from the sorting office is now Monday! O Me Miserum !!

      Delete
  5. He'd be ideal for a Cousin Jonathan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your natural prey in the wild I believe.

    ReplyDelete