Friday, September 30, 2016

British Paratroopers



This is sort of what I was aiming for. 

And this is how I did. I'm not sure about the pattern on the Dennison smock. Perhaps smaller patches of colour? 



A view from the rear - only another fifty or so to go. The smock looks a bit stark - perhaps a wash or something to blend the colours together. 


11 comments:

  1. Splendid! Looks like you have all the right colours in the mix, I like the idea od a wash to tie things together and then a light dry brush perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to not dry brush 1/72 figures as I find the effort is often lost at that scale. But I'll give the wash a try.

      Delete
  2. I would say mix a little of the base smock colour into both your brown and green pattern shades, to mellow them both to a more complimentary faded shade, then tie it all together with a thinned wash of strongtone or similar glaze. Jobs a guddun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AKI. I don't want to spend too much time on them - but there's the germ of an idea there.

      Delete
  3. I agree that you need to blend the colors, the edges are too crisp. Could you edge them with a blend of the base color and the camo color? Or mute the camo patches by mixing with the base color.
    Is it practical to work wet-on-wet? Applying the camo patches while the base color is still drying so you can blend at that point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably a bit beyond me stu, but we'll see how I get on.

      Delete
  4. I think he looks great the way he is. When viewed at playing distance the cammo will look less stark - a wash might hide the pattern too much. I once painted 100 or so of these for an Arnhem game (I was playing the Poles) and my style was very similar to yours - they looked pretty good once on the table!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Conrad, I think that paint job works very well, I've been wanting to paint some Red Devils for decades. Good job.
    Cheers,
    JB
    http://SgtGuinness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thought is that a wash will tie it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If anything, what's missing is the "bad" brushstroke part of the pattern as seen here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/09/Montgomery_E010786478-v8.jpg

    Most obvious just at the lower edge of the left-shoulder patch. A wash of one of the GW darker offerings will tie it together nicely too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a look at the blog of my friend Koen. He has done a lot (200+) 20mm Paras over the last year and has it down to an industry.
    http://dalemunk.blogspot.se/

    ReplyDelete