Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Turning the tables


We've had a wedding, a certain amount of professional change and all the drama that comes with that in the last month - so the War Room hasn't seen much use.  I'm hoping to get a game in tomorrow with a bit of luck, but that remains to be seen. 

On the plus side,  I got a new table in the War Room.  The old one was in rag order and was quite unsteady, a dear friend was getting rid of an old dining table and I managed to snap it up. Unfortunately dining tables don't really come in the sizes needed for wargames, but I've added a marine ply topper which is a respectable six and a half feet long and four feet wide. 


My eventual plan is that we will be able to take the plywood topper off for special occasions (Christmas, etc) and have dinner in the War Room, as the table underneath is rather larger than our kitchen table.   I've also added two flaps at either end which allow the table to be extended to eight and a half feet. These are hinged so that they will hang down when not in use. I've added a baton to either side to give added stiffness. 



The trick was to find a way to hold them up solidly when they were needed.  I used pipe clips and some scrap timber to do the job.  We'll see if they hold up. With a bit of luck and assuming my measurements aren't off, I should be able to play six player Epic Napoleonics games with this setup. 


Study of a sleeping baby.  Oil on wood.  Unknown student of Rembrandt. Circa 1660. 

The Lady Baby has a habit of fighting sleep while her brother starts looking at his watch around seven thirty.  This picture was taken after I got home from work, when she had refused to sleep for her mother.  I'm really pleased with it - though I don't think a computer screen does it justice.  She has a nasty habit of torturing Mrs Kinch and then going to bed, meek as a lamb, when Daddy gets home. 


I must go now! My people need me!

Her brother on the other hand is a bit more active during the day, but perfectly happy to get his head down at night. 

17 comments:

  1. How do you cope. One can hand back grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lady baby is angelic, and the boy baby makes me laugh.. he is the very exemplar of the male of the species...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a delight. As for Arthur - he keeps us busy!

      Delete
  3. The ingenuity of man knows no bounds when it comes to the essential things in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly didn’t when it came to a matter of rusks on the mantelpiece this morning.

      Delete
  4. The new(ish) table and top will serve you well in the conflicts to come! As to the kids...consistency, consistency, consistency, is the key. Once the routine has been established, everything will be much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun news and congratulations regarding the new table surface for gaming.
    Applause,
    Bill P.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great to see the sweet innocence of the little princess, and as for the mountaineer, see a great career for him
    cheers Old John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. I don’t know about innocence...

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. If his sister could be convinced to stop egging him on my life would be a lot calmer.

      Delete
  8. Just keep telling yourself that they grow up so fast and that one day you will look back on these days with fondness. Ya, keep telling yourself that....

    ReplyDelete