Sunday, October 14, 2018

Back once again...




Looking at my blogging of late, it has been far far too long.  Weirdly, I have a couple of entries in the drafts folder, but I haven't finished them off because I haven't been happy with them.  As perfect is the enemy of good, it just means that I haven't finished any blog posts at all.  I'm back in work full time and working shifts again, so between work and family there hasn't been a huge amount of time for wargaming. 

So in brief, I've been mucking about with Game Workshops latest offering "Kill Team" which is rather good.  Kill Team is a small scale game and reminds me very much of  first edition Rogue Trader in that it is a semi-rpg with figures.   I've only played a couple of games, but I've really enjoyed them.  




I've also been playing With the Colours, a solo computer moderated game.  It's free and quite satisfying when played as part of a campaign.  I've been leading Lt. (now Captain) McKinch of the 18th Royal Irish with some success against the Russians, though the Victoria Cross is proving elusive.  You can find a bit more about that in the latest issue of Miniature Wargames. 


I've never  experimented with computer moderated rules before, but these have really kept my attention. They provide a simple objective based game, but one that has plenty of incident and variety to keep it interesting and that still allows you to do your own dice rolling.  

Given that it's free, it is definitely worth a shot. 




The face of disappointment

Life with the Kinchlets is exhausting but rewarding.  The LadyBaby has some full sentences now and the Bear is climbing everything in sight.  

We went down to the park recently.  The LadyBaby was asleep, but the Bear was not.  Unfortunately we arrived just as some construction was under way.  The poor little chap became very upset and spent about ten minutes trying to break in.  He was not successful, but not for want of trying. 



In the meantime, I've been watching this.  This chap is quite entertaining. He reviews films and television programmes that have been adapted from books and critiques how well the adaptation succeeds. It's the sort of thing we all do when we see a film version of a book we love - but Dominic manages to raise a laugh while doing it. 



7 comments:

  1. It has been a long time, Conrad. Too long. One thing I have learned (from an actual study of the thing) is that an adaptation of a story from one medium to another tells a different story. Often very similar, true; but different nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah ! 'Kill Team' I succumbed of course to the new and shinny weak willed creature that I am - but rather good game and only small forces to paint up .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I keep telling myself. The terrain is absorbing most of my painting time.

      Delete
  3. Nice to see you back,kill team is a little bit tempting, it's difficult to strike the right balance,playing with unpainted figures,oh no,playing without having the right 15th century Italian scenery oh no well alright maybe,but it took me a long time to forgive myself!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be interested in a more detailed review of Kill Team. I'm also intrigued, but GW are throwing out rules like mad these days, and I wonder at the viability.

    ReplyDelete