Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Sikh War Project - A project long in the making?


The 16th lancers charging Sikh troops

I've been thinking about wargaming the Sikh wars since I first read about them in Ian Hernon's book "Britain's Forgotten Wars".  There's something tremendously compelling about the situation of a kingdom so divided against itself that it's court conspire against their own army. 

It reminds me about reading about the later years of the New Model Army or the Roman Army during the Crisis of the Third Century.  An organisation that became so mad with power that it became ungovernable and ended up either being bought off or destroyed.  That coupled with the fact that the Sikhs are a fascinating people combining asceticism, excess, warrior glamour with an exotic locale - I'd be a fool not to give it a try. 


Files boxes, notes and bags and bags of figures. 

The plan is to wargame the four main battles of the First Sikh War using the Colonial Campaigns ruleset against my old foe the Welsh Wizard.  We've already played Naushera and Jumrud from the Sikh-Afghan wars. 

I had been picking up figures from the excellent Newline Designs range of figures and have most of what is required for the First Sikh War. Now, I made the listen of reading John French's excellent book on the British in India from Foundry which includes a raft of details on different units, some of whom were wearing shakos rather than the more usual peaked cap. 

At the moment the challenge will be finding figures for the Ghurkas both in Sikh and HEIC employ and for those British infantry units that wore shakos rather than peaked chaps. Irregular do some Sikh war British infantry in shakos, but they are bell topped rather than covered. 

I'm still debating how punctilious I want to be about this, as I mainly just want to get the game on the table, but then again - I will know if I get it wrong and sometimes that's enough. 


Figures for painting, sorted into bags and marked with a label. 

There was a lot of gathering and sorting and lining up with the various orders of battle I want to cover.  Realistically, if I want to get this project to the table in a decent amount of time I am going to have to subcontract the painting for a fair amount of it. But having thought about this seriously, my time for painting is very limited with a young family and a demanding job, so needs must where the Devil drives. 



More Storage

I've been building up a collection of jungle trees, palms, exotic vegetation, elephant grass and so on for a while now.  But up until recently, it all lived in a number of different boxes scattered around the War Room.  I picked this box up in Woodies (a local DIY shop) for a tenner.  It's robust, clear plastic (which means that I don't need to worry about labels) and will stack with others.  I'm beginning to think that I may start using these for the majority of my terrain collection as using smaller boxes is just not working very well. 




18 comments:

  1. Cracking project and a good choice with the Newline Designs route, great little figures. I will be following your project as it is a very interesting conflict.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I love the Newline Figures. They are really splendid and have a huge amount to offer.

      Delete
  2. It looks to be shaping up quite nicely chum! Hopefully you will get to play it through as it will be some great gaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lord willing I will. Games have been thin on the ground of late, but we shall overcome.

      Delete
  3. Always been intrigued by the Sikh wars since reading the Flashman book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do allow yourself to be tempted Sir. They are splendid fellas and well worth it if you have the funds.

      Delete
  4. 'Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?' Your remark on the First Sikh War, the Praetorian Guard and the Rule of the Major-Generals reminded me also of the the Janissaries of Turkey. Seems that Juvenal's pointed query ought to have been asked more often. I have a feeling we are looking at much the same sort of thing this very day, and NOT where we might have expected to see it.

    Well: President Eisenhower saw it coming more than 63 years ago...
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well exactly. Ian Hernon tells the story as one woman's revenge - but to be honest the rot was so much deeper.

      Delete
  5. Excellent project. A fascinating era to game and one which will give a splendid spectacle on the tabletop.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope so. I'm planning on doing some elephants, because I suppose when the opportunity for one to have elephants presents itself, it behooves a man to seize it with both hands.

      Delete
  6. Look forward to seeing this develop

    ReplyDelete
  7. There’s an old Donald Featherstone military history book called At Them with The Bayonet! which might be of interest.
    Tucked into my old copy is an article from Toy Soldier and Model Figure Magazine TSMF (undated, maybe issue 110 or around) by the then Giles Brown Of Dorset Soldiers (now cast by Imperial Miniatures) on his new new Anglo Sikh Wars range in 54mm ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember it well. I have them both "All for a Schilling a day" and "At them with the Bayonet!" and fantastic reads they are too.

      Delete
  8. The sikh wars is indeed a fascinating period. Lovely colourful uniforms and some interesting battles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Akali's really go for "classy, yet understated" in the uniform department don't they?

      Delete
  9. Conrad Kinch,

    What an interesting project! The Khalsa was well-trained by European officers and can in no way be regarded as a mere colonial opponent by the HEI/British forces facing them. They acquitted themselves well on the battlefield but were the betrayed by their commanders. I look forward to seeing the progress of this project.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were as fine fighters as they were awful citizens.

      Delete