Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Hedgerow


Some fearsome looking bocage

Things have been rather busy here at Joy and Forgetfulness, so blogging has had to take a back seat for a while. Sad to say, work has been responsible for most of it, but we did manage to get some gaming in on Sunday, which was great fun and I will be posting about that in a few days. 

In the meantime, as any fool who fancies wargaming the Normandy campaign knows, you need bocage. There are a variety of tutorials online, but to be honest I knew it was going to be a dirty job (most of them involve a lot of mastic) and have been avoiding it for a while. 



Another angle

This looks suitably tangled and awkward and unpleasent and was produced for less than the price of a pint by Skips Scenics.  They are a local outfit (buy Irish chaps) stocked by The Hobbyden, an online dealer in Kildare.  I was also able to send them some of my five inch MDF hexes, so that the bases would match my Memoir '44 setup and they just built the pieces on top. On the whole - I'm very happy. I got three of these for €20 including shipping and that's as many as I need for the first four scenarios in the Caen campaign. I'm not entirely sure what they are made out of, but I think it's a mix of filler and rubberised horse hair. Either way, it's very hard and will stand up to a great deal of abuse. I'm going to add some texturing to the plain wood of the hex, but beyond that they are ready to go straight from the box. 

Recommended. 


6 comments:

  1. Looks good - very convincing. I'm not sure where they get rubberised horses, but it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lies. Any fool can clearly see that is a Panzer III Ausf. K - Panzerbefehlswagen command tank variant with a modified turret. Carried actual main armament rather than a dummy gun as found on other Panzer III command versions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oho - I shall have to get up early in the morning to fool such a seasoned tank spotter as Dr. O'Connor.

      Delete
  3. They look good from here. Must test them out first hand though!

    ReplyDelete