The festering bog as a work in progress
Unexpectedly, I'm free this coming Saturday. This naturally brought to mind the prospect of getting a spot of wargaming in, so a cunning plan was hatched. As it's rather short notice and there's every possibility that the lads won't be able to make it, I thought that I would try and organise something that required very little prep, but that we hadn't tried before.
I fixed on the VE Day scenario pack released by Days of Wonder this year.
Unfortunately, soon after I sent the email, I realised that I hadn't checked to make sure I had sufficient terrain. Nothing stirs the creative juices like panicked last minute improvisation.
With that in mind, I find myself making some quick and dirty marsh tiles.
Add cat litter for texture
I needed to make something that was robust, didn't take up a lot of room and that looked nice or at least appropriately boggy. I banged the above together in about forty minutes.The bases are my trusty five inch MDF hexes from Jim at Products for wargamers. I have added a layer of pre mixed filler to represent boggy ground. The flat surface of the MDF will be painted as water. Once the filler had dried, I added some dabs of PVA and scattered some cat litter on it to add a bit of texture.
I was going to add twigs and reeds and things, but what I'll probably do is stick to some static grass and a few dabs of lichen as I don't want to raise the profile of the hexes much as it will make it hard to stack them for storage.
This is all a bit of improvisation, so we'll see how they turn out.