Thursday, November 26, 2015

The Freemasonry of the Hobby

Regard that elephant drawn gun!

I am continually astonished by the generosity of what I have come to call "the Freemasonry of the Hobby".  I received an email just the other day from a fellow wargamer named Nick from San Francisco, who wrote to tell me that since I seemed to have a yen for Ghurkas, he had some going spare. Not only are they painted, but apparently they will be supported by a mountain gun. 

I was very surprised by Nicks extremely generous gesture, though I suppose in some ways I should not. The wargaming fraternity has shown itself prone to these sorts of kind acts over the years. Wargamers who are separated by time and tides have repeatedly shown themselves willing to volunteer their time and their precious model soldiers to one another.

I have sent a few of those packages myself on occasion, but it seems to me that I always reap rather more than I sow. 


Appropriate headgear is a necessary adjunct to any properly organised wargame

Nick has sent some pictures of his recent Sword and the Flame games.  This was based on the final scene of the film "Gunga Din" and depicts an assault on a Thugee temple. 

What really strikes me about these pictures is the composition of the table. The figures, the terrain and the whole set up both work as a game, but are also pleasing to the eye. The colour palette fits, the table is not too crowded with troops and the whole thing has a sense of  balance and a sense of proportion that is very pleasing. 


Advancing with the sword and the flame

Though I also like the fact that this is clearly a game in play. Nick's table and setup may be beautiful (and it is), but it is also a thing to be used and played with.  I sometimes find the succession of beautiful pictures of figures on beautiful landscapes in the wargames press as little dispiriting sometimes, because at times they feel a bit divorced from the hobby as I experience it. 

Admittedly, that experience usually involves some Crimean Russian grenadiers masquerading as line infantry, a cat draped around the Pathan fortress and a forgotten sherry glass obscuring the gunners field of fire, but Nicks game pictures are not without the odd dice stubbornly sneaking into the pictures. 

Infantry advance supported by lancers

Nick was also generous enough to write some very kind words about "Joy & Forgetfulness" as a blog, which I shall not repeat here for fear of giving myself a big head, but thank you very much. 



A very impressive Thugee Temple

I think I may have to slip a mild relaxant or something in Capability Savage's cooking laudanum.  He may get very ambitious if he sees this Thugee temple. These fay artistic types are prone to sudden fits of enthusiasm. 

I think I see Gunga Din sounding the alarm from the top of the tower. 


Representin' and keepin' it real

There is one point of Nicks that I would like to address before I finish this post.  In his email, Nick wrote;

"[...]I find it difficult to believe that you're still in your thirties; 
your writing feels more mature, even Edwardian ;)."

Some of those gentle readers who are kind enough to give "Joy & Forgetfulness" their attention seem to be under the impression that it is a relic of a mythical bygone age. An elegant blog from a more civilized time, if you will.  They are sadly mistaken. 

"Joy & Forgetfulness" is as gritty a slice of urban realism as one could wish for. It is as raw, street and so close to the bleeding edge that it is in serious danger of cutting itself.  I know that I do not always publish explicit content - but that is only because I do not wish to make the blog entirely unsuitable for those of a delicate or excitable nature (wives, servants, Frenchmen, etc). 

Now, if you'll forgive me,  I must go and see my man Du Gourmand about hip hop the hippie the hippie, to the hip hip hop and we won't stop, then rock it to the bang, bang boogie, say up jump the boogie the the rhythm of the boogie, the beat.

Because, what you read is not a test, I'm bloggin' to the beat, 
and me, Du Gourmand, and our chums are gonna try to make your game elite, 

You see, I am Conrad Kinch and I'd like to say "hello" 
To the black, to the white, the red and the brown, the purple and yellow, 

But first, I gotta blog, blog the bloggie...

...and that's quite enough of that...

...I think I may have to lie down for a moment. I've come over rather queer. 


32 comments:

  1. It's good that you should come out in your true colours - refreshing in this world of hypocrisy. Liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I obviously need to start posting about my £10 note collection in the hope that people will send me contributions! Keep up the good work (...but maybe pass on the rapping!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post, my friend, with several erudite observations!

    First, the generosity within the hobby is abundant as you very well point out. I have a theory but shall be shared only with a therapist.

    Second, a wargame in progress is a dynamic organism that often eludes the perfect photo. Eye candy (ugh, I hate that term) for a magazine or blog photo shoot is static in nature. Sure, the latter is pretty but where is the underlying laughter, tension, and fun?

    Finally, I should really use more care in clicking on embedded links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it Jonathan.

      I don't know what you're talking about - only the best links here at J&F.

      Delete
  4. Conrad Kinch (or should that be Worshipful Brother Kinch of the Wargamer's Lodge?),

    Your blog is always a joy to read and induces a feeling of forgetfulness of the day's normal travails. Is it from an earlier age? It has a certain style about it, and has the added advantage of having been written by someone who has a complete mastery of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and good taste.

    Keep up the excellent work!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Bob.

      Sadly, it's honorary Worshipful Brother Kinch, but you can't have everything.

      Delete
  5. Conrad Kinch,

    I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed seeing the excellent photographs of the Colonial wargames. You are absolutely right about the 'look' of the whole thing, and it just crys out 'come and play me'!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a tremendous post and I am rather taken with your term for the generosity of fellow hobbyists and wargamers - with your permission, I shall be adopting that in future. As for the closing paragraph, well let's just say that I am still chuckling to myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Michael, I'm always glad to have gotten a laugh.

      Delete
  7. I actually imagine a neo-ska syncopation to the last part of today's entry ala Madness or The Specials. A wonderful post today and everyday, Conrad. Here's to those blogs of a bygone, more civilized era. Long May Joy and Forgetfulness reign.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough, I had considered the Specials...

      Thank you very much for your good wishes. Glad to see the Duchy of Stollen stirring again.

      Delete
  8. Conrad, your right about the 'brotherhood' as over the years Ive been given some wonderful stuff from wargamers.
    Perhaps we should all have a special sign as opposed to the special way we look, walk, talk and in some cases smell.
    I would suggest a small lapel pin, a la the US security services. As for your young age, maybe you are a child savant, learned beyond your years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer the term prematurely curmudgeonly :)

      We probably need a handshake or a particular style of mustache maybe?

      Delete
  9. To be honest, I read this blog as a sherry substitute . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delayed concussion can be a very terrible thing. Your blog is one, among others, that never fails to make me smile, think or fan the flames of enthusiasm for playing with toy soldiers. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Chris. That is very kind.

      And as for delayed concussion, well.

      Thank you very much Chris. That is very kind.

      As for delayed concussion, well.

      Delete
  11. Goodness me, what are those swinging hep-cat tunes ? Is it a popular beat combo, as I believe the young folk are wont to 'dig' ? The latest waxing from Lord Rockingham's Eleven, perhaps?
    ( and is that rap actually older than you are, Conrad? )
    Bravo, anyway, for a lovely post, and also to Nick, his generous gesture and nice-looking game and photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, I think you'll find that that rap is one year older than I am. I had planned to pick something from 1980, but I was having difficulty getting it to scan.

      Nick is certainly an ornament to the hobby. As for the song, I think it was Lord Denning & the Guildford Four.

      Delete
  12. I have always liked that phrase, Freemasonry of the Hobby, as being particularly felicitous. Having experienced such acts of kindness from others, not least of which being yourself, I hope to try to follow such good examples.
    It is a splendid looking table that Nick sets, I grant you that. But any table that features a pachyderm is a splendid one, I warrant.
    As for rap, I always see you more as this fellow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiRPBCiJg2c

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heffalumps are always an addition to any table.

      Mr. B is rather excellent.

      Delete
  13. I too think that "Freemasonry of the Hobby" is a superb phrase. However, I think there are other parallels. The great slab of flame and pitchfork wielding gamers that inhabit many places are not so refined - TMP springs immediately to mind, as do highly competitive 40k types, just for starters. However, the blogosphere has more of an 'inner temple' feel where courtesy and kind gestures are both sincere and common. I'm not sure what drives it or seems to restrict it, but there it is.

    There are always exceptions to the rules but it seems a definitive archetype of blogging hobbyists to be that way. Its a delight to be a part of that and it certainly makes one want to give back. Just look at all the competitions and giveaways that gaming blogger run out of their own pockets. Amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, to be honest - there are plenty of jerks and the blogosphere is no stranger to them, but there are lots of fine fellows as well. The jerks tend not to endure, but attract a lot of attention while they are here.

      The essential decency of the silent majority is what always impresses me though.

      Delete
  14. An excellent post and some very true statements, Conrad.

    As for the 'Freemansonry of the Hobby' I completely agree with Paul. I think it has something to do with the kind of chaps gathering in the bloggosphere. During my years of blogging I got acquainted to a lot of really nice people and experienced a mutual spirit among pretty a lot of us.
    And I experienced the kindness and generosity of the lot myself when searching for special, single figures. Thus I try to spread this spirit myself. Somehow it feels right...

    Truely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some truly fine fellows in the Blogosphere to be sure.

      Delete