Friday, August 26, 2016

A balm for the toy soldier lovers soul


Sir Colin Campbell

I went on a trip to Wales recently to see Old John and it was time well spent.  The food was good, the company excellent and it was a trip absolutely stuffed to the gills with toy soldiers. Amongst them were these Crimean British troops, which I bought from John Preece last year, but only managed to collect a few weeks ago. 


The Gaaaaards! 

I would go on, but I think these fellas stand on their own merits.  They are Stadden 25s, tall and elegant and I think a reasonable match for many 1/72 figures. But even if they weren't how could you resist these visions of shiny toy soldier loveliness? 


A think red streak tipped with steel

Having looked at these, I've actually scrapped by planning for a 1/32 Highlander colour party. I will have to repaint the kilts and copy John's approach here. I had been trying to paint tartan as it is and John has just managed to do so much more with just a suggestion of colour.  Every figure is a master class in composition. 


The damned rankers 

These will hopefully give me the kick in the pants required to get weaving and play some more Crimean games. I shall have to photograph them properly soon. 



Met this friendly fellow out and about 




He was rather demanding. 





22 comments:

  1. John paints so very very stylishly. You are a lucky fellow.
    Cheers and bravos,
    Bill P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't he just? I am very happy to have them.

      Delete
  2. Conrad Kinch,

    Very nice ... both the figures and the cat!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The cat was more of a spur of the moment thing.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Those are magnificent. Have you got any S Range Minifigs, Jacklex or Hinton Hunts to stand them up against?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do - actually now that I think of it. I don't think I have any Jacklex, but I've some Minifigs and Hinton Hunts. These boys are heftier than the HH, but do well if in different units.

      Delete
  4. Well they certainly look rather special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cats often are. I quite like those fellows. I seem to recall gazing wistfully through glass at a few that looked much like them, quite a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John did a wonderful job on them. I love his composition.

      Delete
  6. Lovely figures beautifully painted. I agree on the tartans, drives me crazy seeing them painted as a maze of bright colours or big cheques. In life, at 10 ft away most of that doesn't show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those feels wrong, looks right moments.

      Delete
  7. Yes but why does The Borg keep changing companies for his games . Tricorne is going to cost 100 dollars with postage ,to Ireland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew. I know I ordered it anyway, because I'm a sucker. But I'm really holding out for the SYW version.

      Delete
  8. I guess Cynthia cooked as you say the food was good?:-)

    I always thought the stadden are too tall for 1/72?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hush now...it takes skill to burn cornflakes like Johnny.

      You may be right about the Staddens, but they were just too beautiful to leave.

      Delete
  9. Nice figures, and even more so as they are Crimean. - They look a bit like the current Tradition 25mms, which maybe using the old Stadden moulds?

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are marvellous, and naturally I went straight to the Traditon website.

    Who manufactured the mounted Officer? He's a treat?

    Greg

    ReplyDelete