Monday, January 20, 2014

The Foreign Correspondent



This arrived in my inbox this morning and it made for some very pleasant reading over my coffee and porridge.  I think it's bi monthly, but it's well worth a look either way. 

This issue is relatively representative and includes. 

The Villa Corsini and the siege of Rome 
- fascinating description of a proposed participation game at Salute. The siege of Rome has always intrigued me. Having walked the ground, I am still astonished that the Romans managed to pull off a cavalry charge up stairs! 

The Belgian Army in the Franco-Prussian War 
- not really my period, but interesting. 

A Revolutionary Hero of 1848/49
- contemporary obituary of General Schurz, veteran of the 1848/49 unpleasantness and the American Civil War.  

The Winter Campaign 
- piece about the Russo Turkish war of 1877. 

Kissinger, the difficulties of terrain
- plea for help in representing the above in a wargame. 

War Correspondents of 1895
- contemporary piece on journalists. 

A French Marine Infantryman of 1870
- article on making a 1/6 scale model soldier. 

At £6 for a digital subscription and £7 for a paper UK sub, I think the Correspondent helmed by the redoubtable Ralph Weaver is probably on of the best deals going. For further information, contact the Continental Wars Society. 

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is - I can't recommend it enough. There's a good deal of 100 odd issues on a cd for under a tenner.

      Delete
  2. Never heard of this one - interesting.

    I wonder who's Kissinger now?….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well whoever he is, he's the doctor of my dreams, with his crinkly hair and his glassy stare and his Machiavellian schemes...

      ...also, doh!

      I meant Kissengen.

      Delete
  3. I too got my copy this morning, can't recommended the magazine too highly, great info every time, Conrad no excuses now for not using up all your kepi headed troops and i have, of course, various suitable figures available to cover the contents of latest issue, hint, hint :-))
    cheers Old John

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too got my copy this morning, can't recommended the magazine too highly, great info every time, Conrad no excuses now for not using up all your kepi headed troops and i have, of course, various suitable figures available to cover the contents of latest issue, hint, hint :-))
    cheers Old John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine was waiting for me on my return from work.Splendid as ever well worth a read I say!

    ReplyDelete