The Finished Product
I finally finished this chap a little while ago after adding a green stuff beard. I am sickeningly pleased with him. The finish is deliberately simple to fit with the toy soldier aesthetic.
A work in progress shot
One thing I learned while painting this chap is that with large scale figures, one needs to take ones time and do two coats. The coverage can be quite patchy otherwise.
A certain amount of tongue poking was required to paint the lines on the turban, which took two goes. The bamboo lines on the lance took a little bit of work to get right too.
The beard doesn't look too bad though.
I had to be quite careful with the varnish on this chap, as it tended to pool rather spectacularly and I had to quickly dab the excess varnish away. I'm very happy with the results.
This chap is patrolling the book shelves in the library and keeping the peace between modern fiction and Cold War history.