Thursday, December 2, 2010

Despatches from the front.

Willy Russell, War Correspondent
and not a bad chap really. For a media type.


- House purchase is still eluding us, though we are a little closer. The lender has asked a full structural survey be carried out, we've had this done and will be getting the results tomorrow.

- Command & Colours: Napoleonics is finally shipping. I am beside myself. I can't remember the last time I've looked forward to a game like this.

Actually, on mature reflection, I can and the game was Cthulhu Dark Ages. It was a crushing dissappointment. But I've relatively sure Richard Borg won't let me down. Probably.

For those of you who'd like a sneak peak, GMT games have very kindly put up a PDF of the rulebook.

- I've started my new project, which is trying to record a few pieces for Librivox.org, an online repository of free audiobooks. I haven't uploaded anything yet as reading aloud is harder than it looks. My first recording was of a favourite poem, but it sounds soulless and rather like I don't understand what I'm reading. Mrs. Kinch has promised to tutor me tomorrow so that I don't sound like a robot. It remains to be seen whether this will work.

- For those of you not clinging precariously to the edge of Europe, Ireland is experiencing some very cold weather at the moment. This is something we are neither equiped for or take with particularly good grace. Fortunately, I had the day off today - so I spent it profitably engaged in sparing Mrs. Kinch some packing. I selflessly put the finishing touches to two regiments of cavalry and a battalion of infantry and packed them up to send to Mark while watching Generation Kill. That's one box we won't have to move house with!

3 comments:

  1. Conrad,

    When read aloud, poetry needs to be read at a "listening pace". Too many people read it too quickly.

    Another common fault is too read it too "flatly". Allow yourself to use pitch and pace to help color and shape the verse.

    Hopefully some warmer weather will head your way soon.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I trust the house purchasing will continue to move forward albeit slowly...
    best wishes
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. War Correspondent in the Crimea and wrote Educating Rita too?

    ReplyDelete