Wednesday, June 22, 2011

On His Majesty's Service - Allan Mallinson

The last few days have been relatively busy, so I took the opportunity today after work to do absolutely nothing at all. I spent a rather pleasant afternoon lurking in my study, listening to an E W Hornung audio book and basing some figures. There were plenty of other things that I should be doing, some of them house, others work related and damned if I didn't so any of them.

It's a curiously liberating experience.

I received some parcels over the last few weeks, which deserve their own entries really as there are some cracking figures within - but suffice to say that I have been a very lucky chap of late and have reason to be grateful to those in the fraternity. Pictures to follow. I would have taken some, but I was busy basing those very same nice figures and generally luxuriating in an intoxicating idleness.

I also spent some time reading "On His Majesty's Service", Allan Mallinson's latest book. I have learned that Mallinson like O'Brian is a pleasure to be sipped rather than gulped and I am taking my time with this one. Mallinson's writing still has that wondrous quality of historical ventriloquism - his diction is perfect and has the ability to transport me to the early 19th century in a way that few writers are capable of. Given that I am happier there at least in imagination*, I particularly prize this skill. The book progresses relatively slowly and much attention is given to the relationship between Hervey and his new friend Fairbrother. If the observation of the friendship between the two men is not as well polished as it could be, it is likely because Mallinson has not explored this theme before and is competing with O'Brian, who wrote possibly the greatest 4000 page long novel on male friendship ever crafted by the hand of mortal man.

I'm about half way through it at present and will continue to read slowly to make it last. Thus far though, recommended; though I would certainly pick up the earlier books first. A new reader will be very confused - not surprising when picking up book eleven in a series.


* I am not such a fat head as to think that I would have been happier in reality, death in childhood would have most likely have been my lot, but it does make for pleasant fantasy.

7 comments:

  1. That sounds good. And the time was productive after all, since it led to an article that helps us be transported momentarily also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CK,

    The value of an evening spent in such a fashion is beyond price and serves as a wonderful restorative to a weary spirit. Or was that having a wonderful spirit to use as restorative to the weary?

    Either way, time spent in such a seemingly relaxed pursuit is never wasted.

    The book is on my to read list at some point - especially as the 'sick man of Europe' makes an appearance.

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gentlemen, it was a good afternoon. Have you read any of the Herveys before?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurrah!! I thought I'd seen a review of a new Mallinson/Hervey in the Sunday gossip rags.... I'm off to Amazon post haste - this one will be going on holiday with me.........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve, I checked both - I think Book Depository are doing a better deal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi CK,

    I have only read the first in the series and so a reading of the back catalogue will be in order post haste!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a splendid way of passing an afternoon. I enjoy (increasingly rare) such episodes in my 'toy room' pottering with figures, generally with the accompaniment of Radio 4/4 Extra/Planet Rock. My dear wife refers to this activity as 'cocking about'.

    ReplyDelete