Sunday, March 24, 2013

Soviet Shermans II: Weathering


After posting some pictures to the Guild - I got some advice on how to approach weathering.  The lads thought that I had put things on a bit heavy handedly and that the best thing to do was wipe away most of the pigment with a cotton bud.  



This I think you'll agree has improved things immeasurably and the tank looks more like a weathered and beaten war horse and less like something that's been through the second and third days of Glastonbury. 



I was particularly pleased to see how the detail that I painted on the tracks and road wheel remerged from under the deluge of mud. Things are looking a bit better.  A quick spray of matt varnish and I think they should be ready for the tabletop!

6 comments:

  1. It is a case of 'less is more', it has to be said. For something that might have experienced the 'Rasputitsa', though, your original weathering is probably a nearer approach to what the thing would have looked like! The caking of mud and dust and sand and whatnot could be so extensive in certain theatres that tank crews would not clean off their vehicles - the earthen coating forming a natural camouflage.

    But on the wargames table, a certain understated weathering is like garlic added to a meat dish. the acquaintance of the one to the other should amount to no more than a polite introduction. I think you newly finished Sherman does look the better for the change.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right Ion - a certain amount of seasoning is necessary - but it must not over power the dish.

      Delete
  2. That's the ticket! Maybe if you added a couple of heavier daubs of mud now that you've got a good dusty base. I thought the un-muddy parts on your last attempt to be too pristine; it might look more authentic this way if could be bothered.

    (I can't help noticing that you've positioned it on a packet of coffin nails. I hope you're not indulging while trying to shake the lurgi, but that's enough from Nanny Rosbif!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to give it another go with fixer I think.

      As for the coffin nails - Mrs Kinchs - I'm a pipe man though its an occasional pleasure.

      Delete
  3. That's better! Much more in scale! Who says you can't teach an old guard new tricks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly it didn't quite go according to plan

    ReplyDelete