Sunday, September 11, 2016

Elegant toy soldiers for a more civilised age.

French and Italian troops skirmishing

Author, scriptwriter, bon viveur and friend of Joy & Forgetfulness Julian sent me these pictures about a million years ago. A house fire (crosses self) destroyed a large part of his collection and he's been consoling himself with 30mm semi flats from the turn of the century.  

Aren't they magnificent? 

I don't know much about them and unfortunately, I'm locked out of Facebook messenger at the moment, so I can't access what information he did send to me. 

However, in this as in wine, my appreciation is none the less sincere, for all that my palate is uneducated. 


Bomb chucking anarchist lurking out of shot



Italian hussars I think? 


Red trousers are France!


Austrian lancers




Italian Lancers or possibly Piedmontese



Italian or possibly French artillery I think? 



Austrian gunners



Austrian gunners





A swish Schloss - just the sort of thing you could see Black Michael sneaking out of. 


Modern cavalry - where does one put the lance? 



Frankly I have no idea what these are. 




22 comments:

  1. Kober 30mm by the look of them, the artillery at least, delightful figures!

    I especially like the cossacks in the last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! Flats you say? They are the most well-rounded I've ever seen.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful minis, the car and the 'modern cavalry' are my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. They are delightful - crying out for a Ruritanian wargame.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for posting these elegant fellows,they are a joy to behold!
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it helps I think your Austrian lancers are Prussian/German, the Italian hussars could be Hungarian and the last picture I think shows Russian Guard Cossacks. Lovely figures. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Conrad Kinch,

    What a wonderful collection that just cries out to be used on the tabletop!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julian is more of a collector than a Wargamer, but I believe they see the table occasionally.

      Delete
  8. Very nice indeed, they look like the figures made by Schweizer of Austria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll have to press Julian for some more information.

      Delete
  9. Thank you, Conrad and all of you for your interest and kind words. This is an eclectic collection and I would be glad to send more and better pics if anyone is interested. These photos show just a small part of the collection. I have always intended them as two armies for exactly what was suggested - a Ruritanian campaign. Suddenly (after the fire) having the cash (God bless the NFU) to build a new collection I bought whatever was available. The `Italian` hussars are actually Hungarians as are the red-trousered infantry (Honved) likewise the red-breeked gunners. The Austrian lancers are German (full marks Grigor) and the others are - as you said, Conrad - Italian. My generals are the Archduke in his car (shown) and - acquired last week - the Tsar in a troika. As I say I`ll gladly send on some more plus some pictures of them in action in a gridded wargame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see more of them, especially in a grid wargame.

      Delete
  10. These figures are simply magnificent! They are perfect for a Ruritanian campaign...and, certainly we'd love to see more pictures of this wonderful project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking at that collection, and I could not help but admire them and the photography. Like you, I can see a lot of Ruritanian potential, here, from Black Michael's sneaking, Rupert Hentzau's swachbuckiling, and - if there is a moat surrounding the schloss - Rudolf Rassendyll taking a swan dive from the loftiest battlement. Methinks neighbouring Kravonia might be interested in a bit of sabre-rattling and all...

    Marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, PS, I forgot to mention that they are magnificent!

    G

    ReplyDelete