Tuesday, May 11, 2021

A Mixed Bag

Something grey and stoney

I am blessed with some truly remarkable and extremely generous friends.  I'm currently running a game of Rangers of Shadowdeep for some pals at the moment and game requires a few ruins for them to explore.  My friend Siskey was kind enough to use his 3D printer to run up a few.  The result were very impressive.  



Something a bit more Mediterranean

I painted these using tan colour as a base and then adding a bit of variety to the stonework with a mixture of brown, greys and other tans.  Interestingly though the two buildings look quite different the only actual difference is that I put a black wash on one and a burnt umber wash on the other.  

I'm quite happy with the results, though I think I prefer the more Mediterranean looking burnt umber wash myself. It's such a change from the usual grey fantasy stone. 




Another view


The top lifts off


Positively Maltese

I've always quite fancied going to Malta. It looks beautiful in pictures and there's lots of history to look at it.  I'd imagine the food it pretty good too.  

Painting these more Mediterranean looking building did put me in mind of Malta.  I think these could do with just one more drybrush as a highlight, but I'm really pleased with them.  

I tried making a couple of washes up from recipes I found on the internet, but when I tested them out on the building they didn't look quite right.  In the end I settled on a mix of Daler Rowney Burnt Umber Ink mixed 50/50 with Matte Medium and the resultant mixture diluted about 50/50 with water.  

The result ran into the pointing of the stonework in a very satisfactory manner and I intend to do the rest of the buildings with it. 


Wargaming with the Kinchlets

The Kinchlets are much taken with space at the moment.  We can recite all the planets in the solar system and have just about figured out the concept of the Universe, Galaxy and Solar System and how each fits inside the other. 

They also wanted to play a game with some of Daddy's toys, so I pulled out the mat and ships from Richard Borg's Space Alert.  The game was simple.  The Kinchlets were given some ships.  They were allowed set them up anyway they liked. They were allowed two shots per turn and could  flick a counter any of their ship at their opponents. Any ship hit was removed.  Each ship could move two hexes before shooting, if they wished.  

The result is a fun, bloody little game that at least gets them used to the business of taking turns and winning and losing.  It's also less likely to drive Daddy to distraction than Snakes & Ladders. 


Strelets Chasseurs tangle with Zvesda Guard Cossacks

I wrote a piece on wargaming in 1/72 and why it is a good idea for the most recent issue of Miniature Wargames.  While taking some shots for the piece, I had a few left over and I thought you might like to see a few.  These are Strelets Chasseurs of the Guard facing off against Zvesda Cossacks of the Guard. 


A bold officer

I really love the animation of the Zvesda figures,  they have a bounce and lightness to them that is hard to find elsewhere.  I really must get some Napoleonics on the table sharpish. 






16 comments:

  1. Lovely buildings and excellent to see the homeschooling kreigspeil activity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all part of a rigorous pedagogical regimen.

      Delete
  2. Nice ruins , can recommend Malta we went on hols there a few years ago . 1/72 have come on SO much from the old Airfix days there are some brilliant figures out there .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm growing to think that a visit to Malta may be a necessity.

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see the Kinchlets carrying the torch. And yes, some napolonics would be a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see life being lived and the cadets taking steps in the right direction.

    Nice brushwork to compliment the sculpting on those Napoleonics! During my last ACW game I couldn't help wondering why we ever strayed from this scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are rather lovely. Though I wonder sometimes if I had my time again if I wouldn't go for glossy 1/32 for everything.

      Delete
  5. Hmmm, mixed bag indeed, but everything is delightful. Pretty nice work on all the pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been absent from the wargameybloggy scene for a few years, so thought I would check how the Dubliner was getting on. Lo and behold, the babes in arms are wargamers!! Tempus fugit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those buildings look excellent, especially after your fine brush work.
    Great to get the kidlets involved!
    I'll look forward to seeing the results when you get your Napoleonics out for a 'run'. So many great figures available in 1/72 'nowadays' aren't there? Increasing all the time, too.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are pretty much in a golden age of 1.72 plastics.

      Delete
  8. Beautifully painted figs! I do like the new buildings as well. It’s amazing what can be done with a 3-D printer.

    ReplyDelete