Wednesday, January 11, 2012

It's here!

My new toy just out of the box

In what was without doubt, the greatest relief since Mafeking, my copy of Command & Colour Napoleonics: The Spanish Army arrived today. I haven't had a chance to do much more other than look at the rulebook and the scenarios.

On first impressions, things are looking good. The Spanish Geurrilla Command rule makes the fragile Spanish army playable against the all conquering French. There are some interesting scenarios, particularly some very cavalry heavy engagements. I'm in two minds whether I will collect all the figures required for these, but that's a matter for another day.

I will definately be taking another unit of Swiss in French service as I already have three and it would be churlish to deny the Spanish their most untypical, but glorious victory at Bailen. I shall also have to invest in two units of Swiss in Spanish service for Bailen as well.

But what I'm really looking forward to is Albeura, what a scenario!

I can still remember reading Richard Holmes and John Keegan's "Soldiers" as an eleven year old. Imagining the powder smoke and the dense fog rolling over the battlefield while Colonel Inglis, his shirt front spattered with blood, lies beneath the colours, his voice ringing across the battlefield.

"Die hard 57th, die hard!"

1 comment:

  1. Hi Con, I played a Nap version of C7C just recently, it plays rather well I'd say & can give some good scenarios for your figures too. As for those box files - they are the only way to go I reckon as they just don't make biscuit tins like they used to. Hope your first Christmas worked wasn't too bad for you :-) & look forward to one's where you are shown days off .... Regards, Peeler

    ReplyDelete