Wednesday, February 19, 2014

A wonderful gift



This is a lot lighter than it looks.

One of the advantages of having an extended family who never throw anything away is some truly astonishing gifts. This is part of an airscrew found by my mother in law in the attic of her old home. It is surprisingly light and yet solid for it's size and is made of pieces of wood, glued together and then covered in a sort of varnish. 




This photograph accompanied it. 

This photograph shows the men of C Flight RAF Tallaght.  There is no date, but that aerodrome's life was so short, that it was probably taken in 1918 or 1919. Checking online has revealed that C Flight of No. 244 Squadron were stationed at Tallaght in 1919 and flew DH 6s in an anti-submarine patrol, covering the mailboat that traveled daily between Ireland and Great Britain. 

I shall scan a better copy of this photograph when I have a chance.  

An Airco DH6 (aka "The String Bag")

I can only presume that one of the former inhabitants of the house was attached to the squadron and remained in Ireland after independence. I am not entirely sure if the airscrew piece is associated with a DH6 as it was unmistakably from a four bladed screw. The DH6 seemed to have only had two blades, but perhaps a little digging will yield some information on that.



A close up of the marking on the screw

My mother in law has apparently been bringing this particular piece of history from house to house ever since she got it and she was particularly pleased to pass it on to me.  She is too good a woman to throw it out, but was not keen on having it about the house. It shall be adorning the wall of the War Room before too long. 

For all my mother in law's protestations that I am doing her a favour by taking it off her hands - I was very touched by this gift. I wonder about the men of C Flight and what they would make of where they live now - a world away in time, if not in space. 



15 comments:

  1. That's an astonishing er, thing. Well done for giving it a sympathetic home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough that's what my mother said to Mrs Kinch.

      Speaking of shifting impedimentia from house to house.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely wonderful !! A fantastic addition to your war room. You lucky fellow! As for 4 bladers and 2 bladers, isn't it the case that a variety of engines were fitted to DH6s and their (probably better) predecessor, the DH4, which did, usually, have a four blade prop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a very lucky fellow. Du Gourmand has been bombarding me with pictures of four bladed DH6s.

      Delete
  3. Fascinating, had never heard of an RAF base in Tallaght before. Much curious Googling has ensued. A very nice relic from an interesting period in Irish history!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must do more digging myself. Welcome aboard. I was having a look at your blog, some nice work there.

      Delete
  4. I love it! Please post a photograph once you have it munted on the wall.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a piece of history!

    Could it be from an RE8, maybe? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Aircraft_Factory_R.E.8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be, but to the best of my limited knowledge I don't think No. 244 squadron flew RE.8s.

      Delete
  6. The RAF 1A marking in the middleof the propeller makes formuch interesting Google-fu... refers to the engine type, an improved version of the RAF 1, and a four leaf propeller may very well have been part of that .. nad they were used in DH6's... by the way "Skyhook" (apparently) rather than "Stringbag" (which was the WWII torpedo bomber as I recall???)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve you are of course exactly right. Skyhook, not stringbag.

      Delete
  7. Marvelous gift finding just the right home. She might say that she didn't really want it but I note that she gave you her daughter before she gave you the prop....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is that Ross. Mrs Kinchs father has pointed out on several occasions that it is a firm sale only proposition with no returns.

      The daughter, not the prop.

      And she's definitely out of warranty.

      Delete
  8. 'String bag' I have seen applied to the Fairey Swordfish of WW2... That item would make a fine doorstop, paperweight, conversation piece ... but seriously it is one of those items of yesteryear whose presence adds character to a room. Good score.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete