Friday, March 21, 2014

Memoir 44 - D-Day Landings


A big box of fun

There was some very interesting news for Memoir '44 fans yesterday.  Things have been pretty quiet in Memoir '44 terms over the last few months, but Days of Wonder announced that they will be releasing a new expansion for the game called "D-Day Landings" in June of this year. D-Day Landings will feature six pre printed Breakthrough style maps covering the entirety of the Normandy invasion. 

The suggested retail is about $35 and the set will offer the player six large scale scenarios in an enlarged breakthrough format (13 hexes by 23 I believe).  The pre-printed maps will also allow the game to be set up quickly, which can be a bit of a drag when playing breakthrough games. 




Look at it - it's beautiful

Now that's all very well and good, but the main attraction of this particular announcement is the fact that while all six scenarios will be playable by two players and that is holy and wholesome and earnestly to be wished, they can also be combined into a six map mega-game that will stretch over a board measuring approximately fourteen feet by five.

This game will cover over six times as much space as a standard Overlord set, will require a team of twelve players and I have absolutely no idea how long it will take, but I am itching to give it a go. 

I can see this easily taking a day and a fair commitment of resources to work, but the gentlemen of the mess are already intrigued, so it's likely that we will be giving this a lash over the summer. 

You can read the official announcement here



16 comments:

  1. Sounds good stuff. I'd like a go like that

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit I've never played Memoir 44 but the map looks excellent !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cracking game. A light sort of wargame that you can finish in half and hour. The multi-player version adds a lot to it though and this would be the acme of that sort of thing.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that looks quite something! What a great day's wargaming that would make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it would be excellent. We might have to risk a second bacon sandwich before taking it on.

      I've been thinking through the logistics of it. Twelve players - possibly an additional overall commander on each side.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like multi-player heaven. You'll have to give us an AAR - maybe the crew that does the Little Wars / NERF / Carpet game you play?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I'm sure it will be excellent. I sent a round robin email to the boys and we're already flooded with volunteers.

      Though I should probably think of a name for the crew.

      Delete
  5. I am so up for this. I will volunteer my 1st Allied Airborne to pretend to be six months younger if you want to do it fancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outstanding - We'll be all over that.

      Delete
    2. Let me know how many figures are needed for each unit so I can work out if I have enough done.

      Delete
  6. i'm up for it, let me know when game day arranged
    cheers Old John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do. We just have to wait for them to publish it first.

      Delete
    2. Has that ever stopped you before, Kinch?

      Delete